TABLE OF CONTENTS
- TT to go through:
- Create a share-trading account
- Research shares
- Buying the shares
- Update your details + filing
TT to go through:
Create a share-trading account
In terms of simplicity, we ask that you open a share trading account with the current banking institution you are with. e.g. ANZ, CBA, NAB, Westpac, Macquarie Bank, etc.
Its fast and less hassle since they would already store all your ID, details, etc. so the application is more streamline than having to identify yourself all over again with another share trading platform. You could complete the account-setup + trade in an hour.
However, you are welcome to try other platforms like https://www.selfwealth.com.au/online-trading/. Note th
|Can create an account and complete a trade all in the hour (INSTANT) if you/entities have a pre-existing bank account with the bank in question|
ANZ, CBA, NAB, Westpac, Macquarie Bank, St George, Bendigo.
Note that Credit unions or building societies DO NOT offer share trading platforms. e.g. CUA, IMB
|Self Wealth will take around 3 days to approve your account set-up (assuming you didn't fail their ID check)|
Afterwards, they will open a bank account, which you will need to transfer funds into for trading. This takes 1-2 days.
As such, you will have to wait at least 5 days or more to trade.
Enquire with friends, do your research, ask a financial adviser/stockbroker/accountant on what's shares are good to buy.
Best place to start is to look into ETFs or searching the S&P ASX20.
Once you find the name of the shares you want to buy, last thing to do is make sure you check the price charts and compare their performance in the past 5 years.
Difference between Teresa Tran & Associates accountants vs. a financial planner/adviser
|Financial Adviser / Stock Broker||Teresa|
|Engagement||Generally for intensive traders that buy/sell on a frequent basis.||Help set-up share trading account and teaching you the fundamentals of trading.|
|Knowledge||Broker news information.||Based on the performance of other client's tax return shareholdings + their stories|
|Strategy||For individuals with large wealth that require financial wealth management.||Buy & Hold for tax benefits|
- "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"
- set a cap / limit on how much you would invest in a company, then look to buy something else.
- "Ice cream vs Jumpers diversification"
Australian Blue chip sector/industry
- Retail Estate Property rentals
- Fuel / Energy
- Road tolls
- Bank & Finance - insurance
- Health Care
- Telecommunication Services
Buying the shares
- Log into your share trading platform
- Type in the company name or asx code of the share you want to purchase.
- When entering the UNIT PRICE, try match the OFFER AMOUNT. If you go below the OFFER AMOUNT then it will take a while before the seller will want to accept your low offer.
- Then select the QUANTITY of shares you want to buy.
- The total cost will be step 3 multiplied by step 4.
aka $per unit x no. of units
- Submit the order and check that it has been EXECUTED.
Update your details + filing
- Find the BUY CONTRACT and download it. Store this file on your pc, cloud, or printed and store in a shoe box / folder.
- Make sure you email a copy to us (your accountant)
- After a few weeks, you will get your share contracts, documents, etc. They will ask you to update your details with them. You can update your details via paper or submit an online form. Details you need to disclose EACH TIME you buy shares are:
- Your email
- postal address
- bank details
- TFN - this is the MOST IMPORTANT ONE. MAKE SURE YOU FILL THIS OUT.