Your entity (partnership, trust or company) may be eligible for the JobKeeper scheme if it is an eligible business entity and has an eligible business participant.

An eligible business participant is an individual who is actively engaged in the operation of the business and IS NOT an employee of the business. There can only be one eligible business participant for the entity.

If your entity is eligible, it can claim one $1,500 JobKeeper payment per fortnight in respect of the eligible business participant. The entity, not the eligible business participant, receives the JobKeeper payment.

If your entity also has employees, it may also be able to claim JobKeeper payments of $1,500 per fortnight for each eligible employee.

From 20 July, if you are an approved provider of child care services, you cannot claim JobKeeper payments for any business participants and any employees whose ordinary duties relate principally to the operation child care services.

Work out if you have an eligible business participant

An individual may be an eligible business participant of your entity for the fortnight if they meet all the following:

  • They're not employed by your entity.
  • They're actively engaged in the business carried on by your entity (at 1 March 2020 and for the fortnight you're claiming).
  • They're one of the following (at 1 March 2020 and for the fortnight you're claiming)    
    • a partner in the partnership
    • an adult beneficiary of the trust
    • a shareholder in or director of the company.
  • As at 1 March 2020, they are both    
    • were 18 years old (if they were 16 or 17 they can also qualify for fortnights before 11 May 2020, and continue to qualify after that if they're independent or not studying full time)
    • an Australian resident (under section 7 of the Social Security Act 1991) or a resident for income tax purposes and the holder of a Special Category (Subclass 444) visa.
  • They're not receiving government parental leave or Dad and Partner Pay.
  • They're not totally incapacitated for work and receiving payments under an Australian workers’ compensation law in respect of their total incapacity to work.
  • They're not an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity.
  • They haven't previously given another entity, or us, a JobKeeper nomination notice.
  • If they're a partner, an adult beneficiary of a trust, or a shareholder in or director of a company, they've provided a completed Eligible business participant nomination notice (excluding sole traders) to the entity to record they've agreed to be nominated to receive JobKeeper payments through an eligible business.