ATO & Australian Government offers hecs reduction to graduates, who studied and worked in the field of:
- Mathematics, statistics or science
- Graduated from an undergraduate 'natural and physical science' field of education course (mathematics, science or statistics) after 30 June 2008.
- Employed in a related occupation, including as a secondary school teacher of these subjects or as a primary school teacher.
- Education, nursing or midwifery
- Graduated from an education, nursing or midwifery course required for initial entry to a teaching or nursing profession after 30 June 2009.
- Employed as a teacher or nurse/midwife.
- Early childhood education
- Graduated from an early childhood education teaching course.
- Employed as an early childhood teacher.
- Employed by a provider of pre-school education or childcare services in a regional or remote area, Indigenous community or area of high socio‑economic disadvantage, as specified in the HECS-HELP Benefit Guidelines (opens in a new window).
The HECS-HELP Benefit will be removed from 1 July 2017. This means that the 2016/17 income year is the last for which a person can claim the HECS-HELP Benefit. However, a person still has two years to lodge their application (late applications will not be accepted).
|Income year for which a person is claiming the HECS-HELP Benefit||Applications to be lodged with the ATO|
|2014/15 income year||by 30 June 2017|
|2015/16 income year||by 30 June 2018|
|2016/17 income year||by 30 June 2019|